Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Portable Scanners


This may seem like a non-calligraphy subject but as with many technologies, it does have applications.  I originally bought a VuPoint wand scanner to go through some knitting magazines which have been piling up over the years.   It's just too difficult to scan magazines on a flat bed scanner.   This wand enables the user to sweep over page after page without stopping.  The most tedious part is downloading the images and renaming them so you can access later.   It uses a micro SD card to save the images then it's a simple process to connect the wand via USB to a computer.  The PC recognizes it as a portable storage drive. Images can be captured on two resolutions and either color or black and white.  It comes with a small drawstring bag, USB cable, and is easy to pop in to a purse or messenger bag.
As for it's use with calligraphy.   Say you're in a library or find a document you find interesting and helpful.  The hand scanner makes it easy to store the images appropriate to your needs.   Be careful though, there are copyright laws that may come in to play and it's important to know what they are.  I think as a general rule as long as you aren't reproducing or selling the item, misrepresenting it in any way as your own and it's just for personal use and reference, you'd probably be OK.  
I once used this scanner during a workshop with Heather Victoria Held.   She had just finished some small cartouches and I wanted a close up of the image for future reference.  Definitely ask before scanning in all cases.  Heather is so sweet and allowed me to get the scan and now I have more inspiration!   BO-NUS!
A rule of thumb for me is to carefully guard all images I scan and make it a rule to not dessiminate them in any way.  It's not that I'm hard-hearted and don't want to share.  On the contrary.  But the artist gave me permission to scan their work only, and I think it's only respectful that I not send these things around.   If I did, sooner or later someone would pass it on, only my name would appear somewhere and it would be assumed that it was my work. 
I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment