Monday, February 27, 2012

My pen collection

I decided to take a bit more time to take care of other things and since none of it (unfortunately) involved calligraphy, there was nothing to write about.  Why go off-topic eh?
I have more alligators nipping at my heels right now so it's not likely I'll get any decent practice in over the next few days.   I did, however, get the opportunity to clean out some of my desk drawers, ran across my antique pen collection and thought, wow...I've spent a lot of money on some interesting items!   Why not post some pics of them?   So, here we go. 


From top to bottom is my bone, Stanhope lens dip pen; a delicate MOP carved pen that will hold a modern nib; a small wooden dip pen (crowquill?); my Aiken-Lambert retractable; and a MOP souvenir from the alligator farm in St. Augustine, which is still there.
The Stanhope lens is interesting.   Look at about the middle of the pen and try to find what looks like a small round dot.  That's the lens.   This pen is a souvenir also from a church in Canada, St. Anne de Beaupre.   When someone looks in to the lens they would see pictures of other things, usually related to that location.  I have seen these though with naughty pictures.   Popular in the late 1800s, it was quite a novelty and to me, still is.   They pop up from time to time on places like eBay and in antique stores.   Because the lens is so small many people don't have a clue as to what they are and sometimes you can get a real deal on them. 
This is only a portion of ones I've collected.   I'll post other pictures of pen-related items another time.  My rule of thumb is whatever I find I have to be able to use it.  I'm not a collector that just has a ton of space for things so all of my pens have been used and obviously can hold modern nibs.   How fun is it to think where this pen has been, who has held it, and that it is still servicable today???

No comments:

Post a Comment