Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Practice with the 830 nibs

This afternoon I got some of those vintage nibs out and decided to experiment with the 830s.  Everything we do really is a learning process isn't it. 
I often see posts in the OP yahoo group about what nibs work with what.  One nib does not work with all papers and all inks.  I am using the 830 with walnut gall ink and I tried four different papers to see which would work best with this nib.  Here are the results:
The first paper, from the top, is Canson Pro-Marker.  It's bright white and very smooth.  Good results with this paper.
The second is a linen stationery by Southworth in ivory, 25% cotton.  Not good.  The hairlines weren't good and it feathered. 
The third from the top is a slick papered placecard I picked up at Michael's (I think).  This wasn't bad.  Still not much in the way of hairlines but the ink 'stuck'.  Since this paper is slick (you can see the gloss) it takes a bit for the ink to dry.
Last one was a cream-colored parchment.  This fell somewhere between the linen stationery and the Canson.  It didn't feather but it was too thick for my taste. 
This nib is a large nib so hairlines aren't going to be very hairy.  It also needs a very smooth paper to write the best. 

No comments:

Post a Comment