Saturday, January 28, 2012

I got mail!

I received a wonderful card from a dear friend in California.  It's hard to describe how happy I get when there's something addressed to me that isn't a bill, or since I'm in Florida, something political.  It was a sweet note and one of the prettiest cards I've had in a very long time.  She does something really cool with her envies too and I have immortalized one of them on my decoupaged calligraphy suitcase

The images is from a Bible I believe done by Franco dei Russi, Ferrarese, from the mid-1400s.  At least that's what it says on the back.    I had an opportunity to view some ancient Bibles at the Holy Land Experience last January and there were some that were illuminated like this.  What amazing works of art they are.  If you find yourself in the Orlando area, try to get over to see the Scriptorium at the HLE.  They have everything from ancient Babylonian cylinders and Egyptian papyrus to Gutenberg and beyond.  It is or was part of a collection assembled years ago and they've done a wonderful job preserving and presenting these priceless objects.  The rest of the 'theme' park was not out of this world, but if you enjoy history and looking at ancient texts up close, it's worth the price of admission.

No comments:

Post a Comment