Thursday, October 18, 2012

The Dremel and alcohol ink

     A while back I saw something on TV about alcohol inks and became intrigued by the colors.   I found a few packs at Hobby Lobby and since I had a coupon decided to give them a try.   Not having much luck with the string/polish remover method of cutting bottles I also sprung for a scorer while there.   Yes....the string method will cut the bottles but I found that in every case the edges were so uneven that trying to grind them down was just more effort and time wasted than I preferred.   Find one of those scoring tools like the ones that became popular in the 70s and you will have better luck getting not only an even edge but a cut where you want. 
     Now...back to the project.   I have recently become interested in illuminated letters like the ones in medieval Bibles so I wanted to combine that with the wine bottle and alcohol ink.  
First, sketch out your letter on graph paper.  Since my last name begins with an 'A' that's what I went with.   Tape the design to the inside of the wine bottle and with the finest bur trace over the letter.  Then it's a matter of filling in the design with various burs.
     Next grab a can of compressed air (like the kind used to blow off keyboards) and add drops of alcohol ink.   Since this ink dries quickly work fast to move the ink around.   A straw can also be used but I found doing this was a bit fiddly and holding a straw in your mouth for tool long encourages drooling.  (><)
Finally time to make your design pop.   I used Rub 'n Buff paste in gold over the engraved letter, wipe off quickly and taaaaaaaa daaaaaaaaaaaaa!    Add a candle and it looks like stained glass.  

1 comment: