Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Cutting wine bottles

     I mentioned in a previous post a couple of different methods for cutting wine bottles so I thought I'd take a few minutes to explain what's worked for me.   The one seen on Pinterest involved string and nail polish remover.   This will cut the bottle buy my experience with it wasn't positive.   The bottle never 'cut' where I wanted, it was always too high and didn't leave me enough of the bottle to work with IMO.   The edges were horribly uneven and some bottles just refused to split.  Not sure if it was the thickness of the glass, perhaps the glass making process but it just didn't work.   As with anything working with glass, wood, tools, etc, wear safety glasses.   The chances of something happening may be slim but who wants to take that chance?

     I had more luck with a glass scoring tool.   Here are some things I learned from that.   If you have two large pots that you aren't going to use for cooking then get those.  In one, heat the water to boiling.   While that is going, using the scoring tool exactly like the manufacturer's directions.  You do not want to grind a deep gash in to the bottle but it does need to be a complete score all the way around.  
     Fill the second pot with cold water and add ice to make sure it's really cold.   The difference in temperatures is what causes the bottle to crack at the score line.    Once the water starts to boil you can turn it down a little.   Dunk the bottle in and count to 10.   Quickly remove and put in the ice water.   I guarantee it won't crack the first time.  Keep dunking back and forth.   I honestly didn't think it would work but have patience and keep working.   Most scorers come with a small tool to tap around the inside of the bottle if necessary.   Eventually you will begin to see the crack forming and at some point it will pop off.    My kit came with some sandpaper to smooth off the edges.  

Now it's time to play!!!!   Enjoy. 
    

No comments:

Post a Comment