Sunday, July 1, 2012

Long time, no blog

Not the most original of titles I know but true.   It's been a busy couple of months and it's not like I haven't done any calligraphy.  Going to remedy that right now.  
First up is an update on my engraving.   I had the chance a few weeks ago to do a couple of wine bottles and one of them was a champagne bottle.   I learned the hard way why you don't do those.  
It's not if they will explode but when.   I thought because I'd done a prosecco that there would be no problem.  This is why you always wear eye protection.   The house smelled like champagne for the rest of the day.   Not normally a bad thing but in this case. 
What's a person to do?   After all, if someone would want a bottle engraved it's probably going to be some type of bubbly right?   The workaround for many calligraphers is to engrave a metal 'medallion' with the desired information that hangs around the neck of the bottle.   Remember those Brut after shave little tag things?   Something similar to that.   I actually like that idea better personally because then the happy couple can drink the champagne AND have a keepsake to hang on a Christmas tree or whatever.   I don't have access to those metal tags so my modification are these little heart-shaped mirrors.   I found another size that's a bit larger but again, these can be engraved, set with Rub'n Buf and a coordinating ribbon can be chosen to go with the occasion.   Pretty neat eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment