Friday, March 16, 2012

Writing on perfume bottles

OK...I admit this is a bit intriguing.  Wine bottles are fairly large and I think easy to write on, now that I've done a few.   But what of other objects, not including the vase?   I have some old perfume bottles laying around and decided to see how a smaller surface would work with the burs Dremel makes.  

This is my first effort on a small bottle with flat sides.  I thought that would be best with which to begin.   I tried to imagine what people would even want on so small a surface and figured it may be a gift to someone's girlfriend, hence the For: April   


On the other side I decided to try some simple flourishes.  

The problem with this whole thing is no matter what substance I used, Rub n Buf or that other brand, the frosted bottle means the excess won't wipe off.   You can see in the lower right corner where I tried to use some acetone to remove the excess and after furiously rubbing that's all I got off.  OH...lest I forget to mention when you rub hard it's going to remove from the grooves too.   Lesson learned, frosted surfaces are a no-no for this type of thing.  

The second bottle was easier.   Its slick surface took the Rub n Buf well and a little extra rubbing with a clean cloth meant the excess came off. 

These pics aren't great I know.  It's just really hard to focus on the writing with the bent surface and the way light refracts. 

I like the way this turned out but sure wish Dremel made some other burs of different sizes and points.

No comments:

Post a Comment