Wednesday, March 7, 2012

More practice

This is really fun but much harder than I thought it would be.   The flex tube isn't that flexible although it's better than holding the actual Dremel unit.  The end is very wide, which would be good for someone with arthritis but if you prefer something with a smaller circumference it will take some getting used to. 

Another issue is the lack of burs locally available.  I've settled on two that seem to give me the results I want (until I find some better shapes) so that's important.  The problem is I don't know how long these burs last (how do you tell?) and where to get replacements?   I need to order a batch from somewhere though so I'll have plenty on hand to practice.  

One other fly in the ointment--how to make the letters really stand out afterward.  I found some wax paste at Joann's yesterday--what a mess!   It clings too much to the bottle and if you wipe hard enough to get it off (actually wiping didn't do it, this stuff needs mineral spirits to clean up) you remove it from the grooves.  I had tried a mix of gold watercolor but that's just too faint.   This am I remembered I had some silver acrylic ink and the results are as you see below.  I like this pretty good and with acrylics, it's a matter of taking a damp paper towel and wiping off the excess.   There's a dropper in the ink bottle which makes it easy to apply.  So, the adventure continues. 

No comments:

Post a Comment