Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Travel ink wells

In keeping with the theme of posting pics of pen-related items I thought today I'd take a look at antique ink wells.   It's hard to believe that at one time there weren't even fountain pens with cartridges or bladders for ink.  When people traveled and had need of writing instruments, they had a variety of options for pens.  Ink wells were another matter.   I've seen ones made of wood, metal, and of course glass.   Those are great if the writer was going to be in one place but what happened if you wanted to take that grand tour of Europe or the countryside?  Enter the traveling inkwell.   Rubber probably wasn't discovered until the 1800's so cork was most likely the best method to keep ink from spilling.   However,  I've seen quite a few writing slopes with huge ink stains so I know whatever was used wasn't foolproof.  
These little guys are probably from the late 1800's or early 1900s since they have little latches and springs in the lids. 

All of them contain tiny glass bottles which look to be handblown. On a few I added a new rubber sealer and have carried these with me. They've worked splendidly. The only drawback being the bottle openings are so small only a straight holder can fit.   I've been cross-practicing with straight holders for pointed pen work though.   Nothing says you can't use them and for a long time that's all penmen had.  Not sure when obliques were invented.
The small black container on the far left holds matches.  The only thing I can figure on that is it was used to heat up sealing wax or remove the factory oil from new nibs.  Or perhaps something completely unrelated to writing.   Who can know?   Any ideas?
These last two I've singled out are very interesting.   Notice in the first picture most of these have one lid and once it's opened you have access to the ink.  The close up of the last two shows they had an additional lid that's spring-loaded to further prevent spills.   I think that's pretty darn ingenious.    I'm no expert and bought these things because I liked them and found them interesting.   If anyone has any ideas on how old they are, I'd love to know.  Their value doesn't matter either.  It's neat to have this tangible link to a much slower time.   Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment