Thursday, January 26, 2012

No penwork today

I knew this week was going to be screwy and I hate that.  But sometimes other issues intrude and you do what you have to do.   One thing I try to do is look for examples of calligraphy or flourishes odd places, and some not so odd.  

I saw this card somewhere around Christmas and thought it was interesting.  I like the simplicity of the curvy lines and thought, I could do that too.   Then there was this stationery...can't remember where I saw it:  
Then there are stamps in craft stores.  Those are great for seeing how someone did the curvy lines of a tree...... 
Or deer antlers.....


Or doodles and squiggles.....


I think by looking at examples like this, we get a better idea of how to space things and see other decorative touches we can add to our work.  I don't worry about people thinking I'm copying because there's no way I can exactly replicate this type of thing anyway.  Once the image goes through the filter of my brain and down to my fingers, it's more likely than not to come out totally different...and totally mine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment