Thursday, March 22, 2012

Got some practice in...yippee

I have a project going that demands a dark ink.  I 'thought' I only had some McCaffery's black.   Don't get me wrong, I like that stuff--gives great hairlines BUT the black is more gray and when you want black...you want BLACK.
Contrary to hubby's opinion I have been trying to declutter and wouldn't ya know it I found a small bottle of black ink, a sumi, in a drawer.  Last night I got the chance to practice some straight up copperplate and found time to try out some vintage nibs as well. 
Here's what I figured on those Eagle 830s.  They're a big nib.   And they hold a lot of ink.  They will not work for normal guidelines.  The 'thins' are just too thick and the shades can be huge.   But I got to thinking why not try this nib with some supersized guidelines.   There may come a time where normal just won't do and a normal nib like a Zebra G won't be proportional.   Well...butter my butt and call me a biscuit but this nib is perfect for writing HUGE letters.

This is exciting because now I have some options if I want to do some larger pieces.   I just need to practice with this particular nib and writing large so I can get the right balance of ink on the nib where it doesn't glob. 
It will also be fun to try it with Pebeo.   Those are future projects though.  I have to continue refining my resume to get a 'real' job so not much time these days for slinging ink. 

No comments:

Post a Comment