Thursday, January 12, 2012

More practice on numbers

Following my work on the envies yesterday, I decided to practice my numbers again.   I'm feeling more comfortable with my 9's.  Zero's not so much.   So I mixed it up a bit.  This time I used a straight holder instead of an oblique.  I wanted to see if that would fool my brain a bit as in my opinion, continuing to use the oblique and getting the same results probably means I'm only practicing making mistakes.   So this is a sample of some made up initials and numbers. 

One other thing I sometimes do that seems to help is to try making the letter or number in a different way.   By that I mean starting at a different point.   I don't know if it's visible in the picture but on the zero's I normally start on the right about halfway down with a hairline, then curve to the left and back up to join.  Then finish but pressing down slightly on the right side using the hairline as a guide.   Notice the form is too fat.  So on a few I started on the left and went the other direction.  There are some arrows on the inside that show the direction.    I think they turned out better.  That last six is my favorite of this lot.   I found a bottle of Aladine iridescent blue ink and it's really pretty on the paper.  It's old as dirt but I think I'll add to my regular rotation of inks.

No comments:

Post a Comment